Saturday, January 8, 2011

More Pink and Black for Brittany

You might think having the pink and black tile in her bathroom would be enough but not for my young'un, nope, she's decorating her bedroom in the same colors. Below are the before and after pics for a mid-century headboard she found at the furniture consignment shop. She and I painted it these hot colors and I think it looks pretty cool, especially for a young 20 something. It's still in my garage, so it's not set-up yet, but once she takes it home I'll post a pic with the bed set-up. Second thoughts, it might be a while, she still hasn't purchased a box springs. Anyway, when (and if) it ever gets set-up, I'll give you a pic.

Keep scrolling after for the pics taken during the process.

Here's the BEFORE, well, we forgot to take the pic before we started sanding, so almost BEFORE...

And a close-up of the circles BEFORE...
Here's the AFTER...

We painted this with spray paint - Rustoleum Satin Finish Black. Doing the black was pretty easy, it took three coats, the problems started with the pink.

First we had to cover the black which meant we had to cover the black that was between the circles. My dear hubby was the smart one that started poking the corners of paper between the circles, Brittany and I finished.


Then we covered the rest.

It took a couple hours and a LOT of tape to cover it properly. Some pink still got through but I'll tell you how I fixed it later.

Next Brittany spray painted the circles. It was hard to find a paint that was "hot" pink, so she bought a florescent paint that is used for marking the ground. Needless to say, it didn't work. It was fairly translucent, so to cover the black it took a lot of coats. After about four coats it started to crackle and the color wasn't really pink, it was more orange. Not cool.

At that point I took over and sanded off all the florescent paint and purchased the hottest pink spray paint I could find. It was Valspar hot pink gloss. It wasn't as hot as she wanted but it looks a LOT better than the other color. It took three coats to cover.

When we pulled off the tape and paper it looked pretty good, however, some of the pink had bled under the tape and the black needed to be touched up. I purchased a small .99 cent paint brush and sprayed some black paint into a plastic cup. I have a steady hand and was able to clean up the leaks really well but lucky it wasn't a big job, by the time I finished, the paint had eaten through the bottom of the cup. The bottom hadn't fallen off yet, thank goodness, and I was finished, so all was good.

Here's the AFTER pic again...

Until later ~

Reba


8 comments:

  1. What a great looking headboard! Lots of ups and downs through the project, but its beautiful. I found you through Tatertots & Jello, and am your newest follower. Please stop on over my Interior Design & Decor website, SAS Interiors @ www.sasinteriors.blogspot.com.

    Best,
    Jenna

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jenna! Thanks for the follow - I'm your newest follower too! Nice blog you have, I love the design.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hello i just found your blog today(im your newest follower) i like the colors of the headboard cant wait to see it set up

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Nicky! I can't wait to see it set-up too - alas, she'll need box springs but has no way to get them to her house even if she bought them. Hopefully soon, she has a really cute white comforter and some black and pink pillows. Thanks for the follow and comment!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow - what a fun headboard. I love the black and pink. I can't wait to see it all set up!

    xoxo
    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  6. The headboard looks really cool!So fun!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was wondering how in the world you got that pink in there (from the thumbnail on Mustard Seed). It's beautiful! And I just pray she doesn't change her love of pink & black any time soon!

    Would love for you to stop by this weekend and link up to Passion for Paint!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Jen, Chrissie, and Coleen! Thanks for stopping by. Colleen, she better not change her mind!! I'd love to link-up, see you over there tomorrow. I gotta go to bed right now, I'm beat.

    ReplyDelete